The International Netball Federation (INF) has announced the latest update of its rules of the game.
The changes will take effect for all matches played in Australia, and all international games, on January 1, 2018.
The updates reflect the amendments to the 2016 rules that were approved at INF Congress in July 2017, and are not new rules, but small changes.
The amendments include:
- New definitions of breaking, pivot and set (for a free pass and penalty pass)
- The sanction if a free pass or penalty pass is taken in an incorrect position
- When a player who is in the correct position may take the penalty pass
- Umpires hold time to give a caution and new caution signal added
- Change of ‘official warning’ to ‘warning’ throughout rules book
- Suspension period is 2 minutes playing time
- State when a player may move into the court surround
- Minor tidy up to remove duplication and provide clarity
Netball Australia has developed a video series to explain the amendments to the rules, which can be watched here.
To obtain an updated copy of the Rules of Netball and other resources, visit netball.com.au/our-game/basic-rules-of-netball.
If you’re interested in becoming an umpire, visit netball.com.au/get-involved/umpiring.
For queries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org