National Netball Championships – daily results

The National Netball Championships are being held at the SolarHub ACT Netball Centre this week, with all eight states and territories represented across both the 17/U and 19/U age groups.

Keep up to date with all the results here:

Round one


New South Wales 21 v Western Australia 31
Tasmania 14 v Queensland 47
ACT 20 v South Australia 42
Victoria 49 v Northern Territory 19


Western Australia have exploded out of the blocks to take a ten-goal victory over New South Wales in the opening game of the 17/U competition.

A full-court defensive effort from the Sandgropers put NSW under pressure, refusing to allow them to settle into the game.

NSW coach Lenore Blades gave clear advice at quarter time, asking her team for multiple leads to the ball and urging them to contest the ball in defence.

WA shooters Shantelle Tassone and Sloan Burton combined beautifully with their midcourt and shot at 78 per cent accuracy for the match.

Both coaches described the 17/U competition as an unknown quantity.

“Going into 17s, it’s unknown. You don’t know the players at all, so we just wanted to put the best we could out on court and see what happened and I was rapt with how they played,” said Sue Gerrard, WA coach.

Gerrard was excited by her team’s performance, singling out their defensive effort as the basis for the win.

“Our focus for today was the defensive pressure and I was really pleased with what the girls put out there for the whole game and I think that set up the win,” she said.

NSW Coach Blades described her team’s start as “rabbit-in-the-headlights”, but was quick to credit Western Australia’s defensive effort.

“Credit to Western Australia, I thought they started brilliantly. We put some patches together that were really nice, but I just thought Western Australia were really tenacious in defence and really fluid in attack,” she said.


QLD Nationals’ campaign is off to a flying start, defeating Tasmania with a strong 47-14 win. Tasmania will take on WA in round two, while QLD will be playing against NSW.


Defending champions SA started their Nationals’ campaign strong, defeating ACT 42 – 20. The 17/U ACT state team bounced back in the last quarter with young guns Jordyn Kearney and Lalya Bahgat coming on with impact.


Victoria had a convincing win for their first match of the National Netball Championships. They took the lead early in the first quarter over the Northern Territory and strengthened their lead for the entire match. 



New South Wales 27 v Queensland 28
Northern Territory 20 v South Australia 38
ACT 16 v Victoria 30
Western Australia 36  v Tasmania 30


A quintessential state-of-origin contest between New South Wales and Queensland thrilled a packed Canberra crowd; the court peppered with Australian Netball League (ANL) players and those on the brink of Suncorp Super Netball.

NSW held a two-goal lead for most of the match, but Queensland willed themselves to a nail-biting win in the last quarter.

The Queensland camp were ecstatic with the win, coach Megan Lynch expressing her relief after an interrupted preparation.

“The girls have not trained together all pre-season. I’ve had six at ANL and six back home, so we’ve been a bit stagnated in our trainings together. So, to get out there and have a hit out and come away with a win is just fantastic,” said Lynch.

Tara and Maddison Hinchliffe were instrumental for Queensland, the twins relishing their final Nationals campaign together. Tara picked up at least five intercepts and six deflections in an outstanding performance at GK.

“That was a massive game, it’s definitely still hurting now, but I’m just so proud of the girls for holding on and fighting to the end … I just want us to maintain intensity, and as captain, I want to lead by example,” Tara said.

NSW coach Pate Cooper was disappointed with the narrow loss, but overall very happy with her team’s performance, particularly the whole team’s defensive effort.

“It was a very good start (to the tournament), I’m happy with it … I think we just didn’t capitalise on our errors. We turned over enough ball, I was really happy with that all the way through. We just needed to value the ball that little bit more and finish off just those little one-percenters at the end in those last few minutes,” she said.


With a tight start and strong defence for both Western Australia and Tasmania, the game went neck and neck until three quarter time. Both teams put in a huge defensive effort in the final quarter with WA working hard to take back the lead. They were able to hold onto the lead, finishing with a six goal win.


The ACT’s home Nationals’ campaign began as they took on defending champions, Victoria. ACT’s defensive combinations worked well, but Victoria proved too strong, taking the win 30-16.


South Australia had a strong win in their first round of the National Netball Championships, defeating the Northern Territory side, 38-20.

Round two


New South Wales 31  v Queensland 38
Tasmania 16 v Western Australia 38
Victoria 27 v South Australia 27
ACT 39 v Northern Territory 21


Queensland has inflicted another blow on New South Wales in state bragging rights, taking a seven-goal win in the 17/U competition.

The Blues came out hard in the first quarter, contesting every ball and attacking with confidence to take a three-goal lead at quarter-time.

In a great display of netball pedigree, Latika Tombs (daughter of former Diamond, Carissa) took on Leesa Mi Mi (sister of Queensland Firebird and Australian 21/U representative Jemma). Tombs had the early advantage, dictating space and picking up tips and intercepts. Mi Mi came through in the second half, providing great drive and ball delivery for Queensland.

Precocious talent Charlie Bell dominated the second half, scoring a total of 24 goals for the game.

Bell stands at 197cm and is just 15 years of age. Olivia Coleman and Matilda McDonell battled hard but the pathway to Bell opened-up in the second half with great assistance from Mia Stower at GA. Bell admitted she was nervous before the game and shed a few happy tears after the win.

“I came into the game feeling really scared, because it’s obviously Queensland versus NSW, but my friends just told me to stick it to them and stay on them and be really strong. Winning that game, I was just really happy. It’s like state of origin!”

Simone Nalatu, Queensland Coach, was impressed with her team’s composure.

“I think NSW really brought it to us in that first half and they rattled us. We were much more composed (in the second half) and that helped. I think nerves got to them a little bit as well, but when we went back to what we were supposed to do, that worked well,” she said.

Western Australia started out strong against Tasmania in their second game for the Championships, and continued their dominance throughout the four quarters to record their second win for the day.

Scores were kept low in the Victoria v South Australia game, with turnovers keeping both teams working hard through the centre court.

South Australia came out after the first break, leveling the scores midway through the second quarter and then taking a three goal lead at half-time.

Victoria made changes in all areas of the court at the main break. In a very physical second half, teams worked hard and Victoria were able to level the scores again.

South Australia made changes at the start of the final quarter, bringing on Horjus into GA and giving Austin a break. South Australia quickly took the lead to four, but were unable to maintain this with Victoria getting intercepts through the centre. Victoria continued to play hard against the strong SA defence and managed to claw back the difference, closing the gap again and and with 10 seconds to go levelled the scores to make it a 27 all draw.

ACT 17/U’s have taken their first win on home soil with a strong win 39-21 against the Northern Territory. The ACT leadership really lead by example in this match with Vice Captain Amber Brophy controlling the attacking play and shot brilliantly.  Whilst down the defence end, captain Hayley Mason was critical in multiple turn overs. Both teams have earned a rest for the night and will return for day two where in Round three, ACT will take on Queensland and the Northern Territory will take on NSW.




New South Wales 29 v South Australia 23
Northern Territory 27 v Queensland 33
Western Australia 29 v Victoria 40
ACT 26 v Tasmania 26


It was neck-and-neck between the ACT and Tasmania teams which resulted in the second draw for the afternoon, the first in the 19/U age group.

The visiting side showed a promising start, taking a four goal lead after the first quarter. However, ACT responded after the first break with a strong defensive effort and confident feeds, which resulted in ACT taking the lead at half time.

ACT’s Nalani Makunde (GS) and vice-captain Jacoba Clough (GA) worked well together under pressure in the circle, with Eliza Burton the driving force in attack.

Tasmania’s Kaitlin Petrie worked tirelessly all game, contesting all balls and transitions.

It was an exciting final quarter with Tasmania fighting back to even the scores at the final buzzer.

ACT head coach Adele-Marie Bullock took the draw in her stride and looked ahead to the next round.

“It was a close game, we need to learn to put the four quarters together, and make the most of opportunities while converting them into intercepts”.


Coming off a loss in round one, New South Wales were determined to record their first win for the Nationals, evident in a very physical game against South Australia.

New South Wales came out hard after the main break, with their defence making South Australia work hard for every goal. Despite having two players go off due to injury, NSW took the lead for the first time in the game, extending it to five at three quarter time.

South Australia made some minor defensive changes going into the final term, while NSW continued with their strong defence and held onto the lead through the quarter, ultimately taking out a seven goal win.


The beginning of the Western Australia and Victoria game saw plenty of turnovers all the way down the court; the defensive pressure from both sides keeping the scores at two-all for the majority of the first quarter.

Western Australia made one change at the main break, bringing on Duncan into GA while Victoria subbed the wing attack.

Western Australia didn’t stop fighting, making Victoria work for every goal. The Victorian attack was too strong all the way down the court and they finished the game with a commanding lead of 21.


Queensland proved too strong for Northern Territory, taking the win 33 – 27.



Round three


South Australia 50 v Tasmania 18
Northern Territory 11 v New South Wales 44
Western Australia 27 v Victoria 27
Queensland  40 v ACT 22


Tasmania produced a fearless first quarter, but couldn’t replicate it, going down to a strong South Australian team by 32 goals.

The first quarter featured free-flowing netball. Tasmania’s highest scoring quarter of the tournament was set-up by the midcourt run of Piper Sanders, finished well by Courtney Treloar.

South Australia lifted in the second quarter, going on a nine-goal run and keeping Tasmania to just three goals. The shooting combination of Nyah Allen’s speed and Helene Altmann’s strength proved a handful for Tasmania.

Versatility is a feature of the South Australian team, Courtney Tschirpig gathering intercepts through the midcourt, a contrast to her shooting role at last year’s Nationals.

“It’s a big switch for her (Tschirpig). Within our team all our defence end can play most of the three defence positions as well, so it does give us a lot of flexibility,” said Lee-Anne Cummins, South Australian coach.

Multiple changes to both teams coincided with a scrappy third quarter, with great defensive efforts featuring. Tasmania was caught in South Australia’s adaptable zone defence at times, and unforced errors mounted.

“We started off the game really well, we had one of our highest scoring quarters. After quarter-time our ball placement and passing wasn’t quite what it should have been … We had good passages of play, we’ve just got to have more good passages of play,” said Shane Fish, Tasmanian coach.

Nyah Allen posted a perfect shooting game for South Australia, scoring a dominant 28 from 28.

South Australian coach Cummins was pleased with the momentum her team had patiently gathered, indicating her players had “ticked a few boxes” for their individual goals for the game.

NSW proved too strong for Northern Territory with an impressive attacking game, taking a 28 goal win.

Western Australia and Victoria both fought hard, going goal-for-goal all game until the final buzzer. Western Australia’s Sunday Aryang was impressive, with a strong defensive effort.

A gutsy defensive effort from the ACT wasn’t enough to overcome the versatility of Queensland’s combinations. Leading by seven at half time, Queensland opted for a mobile shooting combination in the second half and gradually increased their lead for a hard-fought 18 goal win.




Queensland 25 v Western Australia 19
South Australia 26 v ACT 29
Victoria 50  v Northern Territory 23
Tasmania 27  v New South Wales 42

Victoria dominated aerially against Northern Territory to take a comprehensive 27-goal victory.

Both teams made many changes to their line-ups throughout the game, taking the opportunity to manage work-loads and test combinations. Each Victorian combination offered something different, but the team consistently contested strongly in the air and created defensive gains from arms-over pressure.

Daisy Hill made the most of her last-minute entry to the Northern Territory team as an injury replacement. Hill shot confidently from long range to score most her team’s goals.

Northern Territory manager Peta Trahair was satisfied with her team’s efforts. The team only commenced training together a month ago, geographical distance proving a challenge.

“Defensively, it’s hard for our girls because we don’t have that intensity (of competition) all the time, but we’re building and getting better every time we play. We showed against Queensland yesterday that when we combine and keep our heads in the game, we can really be there with these teams.”

Victorian coach Kaylea McQuade was pleased with the score-line and the way her team has built through the early rounds.

“We work within our units, they have goals to achieve. It’s not based around figures, more about how we go about things. (For example) we look at turnovers but it’s more about where we create them and how we create them.”

McQuade singled out shooter Gabrielle Dwyer and defender Nakita Singe for individual praise. To prepare for her first nationals, Singe has travelled four hours from country Victoria each week to attend training.

“It’s a whole different level so I’m just taking in everything. I want to give it my all when I’m on the court and prove myself but also do what my coaches tell me,” said Singe.

Victoria remain undefeated in the 19/U competition, while Northern Territory will continue to chase their first win.


ACT have recorded their first win with a hard-fought victory over South Australia, 29-26.

South Australia jumped to an early lead with some accurate shooting from Mary Wilson. But ACT showed their determination to compete with strong committed defensive pressure from the back end of Millie Boehm, Annabelle Marshall and Grace Hill to create numerous turnovers.

The speed of Eliza Burton down the attack end, provided great ball into Nalani Makunde who remained cool and composed to score 19/21 at 90%.

The raucous home crowd urged the ACT onto victory in a tight final quarter. The team maintained control to close the game out in a confidence boosting victory.


Coming up against Western Australia, it was Queensland’s impressive defensive efforts which secured their six goal win, while NSW proved too strong for Tasmania, claiming a 15 goal win.


Round four


Northern Territory 24 v Tasmania 32
New South Wales 21 v South Australia 44
Queensland 25 v Victoria 45
Western Australia 35 v ACT 19


Tasmania recorded their first win of their Nationals campaign in a hard-fought match against Northern Territory.

Tasmania grew in confidence throughout the game, using long passes down the court to reach their shooters and led at the first break, 9-7.

Both teams fought hard and played with urgency, hoping to secure their first win but Tasmania’s hands over every ball led to many intercepts and secured their win 32 – 24.

Tasmania’s coach, Shane Fish, found the result very pleasing.

‘The girls worked hard for the four quarters. They had a target for what they wanted to achieve themselves, with their own goals, and they met those targets. It was a great team effort.”

Captain Ashleigh Probert-Hill was thrilled with the win for her team.

“We had a few tough games to start with, we were all fired up and it showed on court.”


South Australia was quick off the mark, scoring the first few goals in quick succession before NSW could find the post taking it to 5-1 in the first few minutes.

NSW made changes at both ends of the court but were not able to stop South Australia as they continued to widen the gap with their defence keeping NSW to only six goals in the quarter to South Australia’s 12.

NSW continued to look for a solution bringing back their original defensive line up, however South Australia came out strong in the last quarter, extending the lead even further, ultimately winning by 23 goals.


Victoria started the game strongly against Queensland, with Olivia Morris and Sacha McDonald shooting at an impressive 100% throughout the entire first half.

Queensland fought back hard, with their captain Sarahpheinna Woulf forcing numerous turnovers with her strong defence. Despite this pressure, Victoria came out on top with a 45-25 win.


Western Australia have recorded a strong win against the home side ,ACT.

The speed and physicality of the WA team through the mid court saw Jessica Repacholi and Sloan Burton provide great ball into the shooters to run out winners, 35-19.



Queensland 38 v ACT 16
South Australia 28 v Western Australia 28
Tasmania 28 v Northern Territory 28
New South Wales 25 v Victoria 32

It was a tough start to the Queensland v ACT game, with both teams making mistakes early. Once they were settled, both sides were able to find their way to the post, with QLD having the slight edge.

The Queensland defence made it hard for ACT to find the circle at times, but a persistent ACT managed to break away at points.

It was goal for goal at the beginning of the second half, but Queensland were able to keep ACT at arm’s distance.

Queensland continued with strong shooting that extended their lead further, as once again ACT struggled to get the ball into the circle, scoring just twice in the final quarter.


A tough battle between South Australia and Western Australia was not just shown on court, but is evident in the score – a draw, 28-all. An even but physical game between the two sides had South Australia up slightly in the final quarter, however a determined Western Australia were able to bring the scores back to level. It was a tough outcome from a tough game.

With a strong defensive effort from both Tasmania and Northern Territory, not only did we see another draw for the week, but another 28-all draw this round in the 19/U age group.

The NSW v Victoria game started with a defensive turnover to NSW, however Victoria quickly responded. Accurate passing and strong leads saw both teams linking well with limited turnover opportunities. With a final penalty goal at the half time buzzer, NSW took a two goal lead heading into the second half.

Numerous errors by both teams created plenty of tips and intercepts across the court, but neither team were able to capitalize. Victoria came out firing in the last quarter taking a five goal lead with 7 minutes to go, and came away with victory.



Round five



ACT 23 v Victoria 44
Western Australia 31 v Queensland 32
South Australia 48 v Northern Territory 19
Tasmania 22 v New South Wales 42

Victoria have produced impressive back to back wins to defeat a gallant ACT, 44-23.

Victorian coach Jacinta Todd challenged her team to keep extending and building connections on court following on from several close matches in the tournament so far.

“The top four is wide open and we want to keep building every game leading into semi’s,” said Todd.

“Today was a great team effort with everyone playing their role. Our plan was to do the simple things well. I am very happy with the whole team effort and feel we are building some good momentum as the week goes on.”

The free flowing efficiency of ball movement through the court saw Victoria score quickly with excellent accuracy at 88%. The physicality and speed onto the ball by the Victorians resulted in many turnovers which were clinically converted to goals.

Some hard-earned intercepts by defender Hayley Mason provided some good opportunities for the ACT. With Caitlin Hanna using both speed and smart changes of direction to feed from circle edge, the ACT shooters scored consistently over the four quarters at a tournament high for them of 74%.


A full court defensive effort by Western Australia saw them take a early five goal lead, but a valiant Queensland quickly regained composure, taking the difference back to within one goal.

The second quarter saw the game remain a one goal difference leading into the second half. WA managed to secure a 3 goal lead going into the final quarter from strong defence by Arrange and Te Oa.

With neither team able to utilize turnover balls, the game remained a tight tussle. Queensland’s Bell scored the winning goal with only a few seconds to play


Northern Territory started the match extremely strong, catching a determined South Australia off guard.

Long range passes were used consistently by both teams to move the ball down the court, resulting in a number of intercepts. South Australia proved to be too good in the end, with the final score resulting in their favour, 48-19.


NSW were strong from the first whistle, taking a quick seven goal lead over Tasmania. A determined Tasmania team started strongly after the first break, reducing the deficit to four before NSW responded to take a six goal lead going into the second half.

NSW started to dictate play in the second half of the third quarter. They maintained their momentum, despite numerous changes from both teams, proving too strong and running away with the win, 42-22.





ACT 16 v Western Australia 36
Northern Territory 31 v New South Wales 34
Victoria 39 v Tasmania 21
Queensland 35 v South Australia 29

South Australia dominated the first quarter against Queensland, but the injection of Tippah Dwan at quarter-time was instrumental in a close Queensland win.

Dwan and Alexis Baker read off each other well to provide quicker entries into Riley Holland. Annabella Sorby moved into defence, tightening up on Wilson and creating opportunities for Tara Hinchcliffe to take intercepts. A Sorby intercept gave Queensland the lead just before half-time.

It was South Australia’s turn to make changes, but the revamped attack line didn’t settle.

Queensland scored seven out of the first eight goals for the third quarter, which proved to be a match-winning lead.

South Australia coach, Kirsty Leonard-Down commended the Queensland attack.

“I think by bringing on Tippah Dwan, they really enabled themselves to have a very quick forward line and they moved the circle very well, which exposed our defenders. The intensity they brought across their defence line just shifted the way we were able to move the ball going forward like we were in the first quarter.”

Queensland coach Megan Lynch was relieved with the win, her team maintaining their undefeated record.

“They picked themselves up when we made those changes at quarter time and really put a good second and third quarter together. I think they got a bit tired in the end… so it’s just about mentally pushing through for the rest of the week,” said Lynch.


Western Australia hold onto fourth place after a 20-goal defeat over ACT. While the game was closely contested to half time, Western Australia proved too strong, coming out in the third quarter to secure the lead.


An incredibly close game between Northern Territory and NSW saw both sides, particularly their shooters, confident under immense pressure. Scores were locked for majority of the fourth quarter, until New South Wales capitalised on a turnover.

Two more quick goals in the final minute saw the Blues end up on top, 34-31.

Victoria remain in first position after a 39-21 win over Tasmania.

Round six



ACT 36 v Tasmania 21
Victoria 26 v New South Wales 30
Northern Territory 14 v Western Australia 41
Queensland 35 v South Australia 37

A hard-fought battle between Victoria and New South Wales kicked off round six on day four of the National Netball Championships.

Despite a close contest, it was New South Wales who came out on top of an unsuspecting Victorian side who just couldn’t quite get on top of the NSW outfit.

A strong effort from the NSW defenders made it hard for Victoria to find the post, with the Vics only able to level the scores towards the end of the third quarter.

Seven changes at three quarter time for the Victorians didn’t help their cause as New South Wales ran away with the game, winning 30-26.

NSW coach, Lenore Blades was happy with her side’s effort going into the final day of games before finals.

“We were obviously disappointed coming into this game because we were sitting in fifth. Today was a big game for us to put out what I knew we are capable of.”

“We talked about working every minute of every quarter and I think we did that.”

Blades credited the team’s full court effort to the win.

“Our problem has been that we’ve been quite patchy, so the fact that everyone did their job today and played their role is why we’ve ended up with the result we have.”


Western Australia consolidated second-place with a 27 goal victory over Northern Territory, setting up a showdown with South Australia for the top spot.

Northern Territory started the game slowly and struggled to connect in attack. Western Australia held them scoreless until the final minutes of the first quarter through tight midcourt pressure from Eli Johnstone and Katie Te Oa.

After adjusting to the speed of the game and making some positional changes, Northern Territory lifted their defensive effort and anticipated the ball better. Brandy Torrens-Bell rejected two shots and Coffey took three intercepts in a row in the third quarter, but their team was unable to bring the ball through the centre third safely.

“I was really pleased with the way my team started, they were really strong defensively and that opened up nicely in attack,” said Western Australian coach Sue Gerrard.

Molly Warne’s height and positioning offered a strong target all game. Warne dominated the scoring, despite Coffey’s efforts.

“I felt really good, I felt like it was the best game I’ve played. We really joined as a team and our team communication really improved,” said Warne.

Northern Territory coach Debra Gray was disappointed with her team’s slow start, but pleased by their defensive effort.

“After a long week that was a hard game first thing this morning. Our defensive end met their goals, they worked hard, and we ended up finding some nice passages of play that enabled our shooters to get some ball in the last quarter,” said Gray.


Tasmania came out firing taking an early lead in the first quarter. With a strong defensive effort and contest from Tasmania, ACT’s Eloise Millington was strong in attack dominating with strong drives and feeds.

ACT started strong in the second quarter causing the turnovers to claw back to take a two goal lead.

Several changes for Tasmania in the last quarter wasn’t enough to get the win, with ACT taking the game by 15.


South Australia have taken out the win in a thriller against Queensland.

After a dominant first three quarters from South Australia, Queensland managed to come within a goal in the last four minutes of the game. Going goal for goal in the dying minutes, SA were able to take the edge. With the game going right until the buzzer, SA securing a two goal win with less than a second to go.





Western Australia 21 v New South Wales 25
ACT 29 v Northern Territory 31
Tasmania 18 v Queensland 36
South Australia 21 v Victoria 37

A highly contested first quarter was a sign of things to come in the Western Australia v New South Wales game this morning.

Western Australia must have had a good talking to during the break, as they came out with the first three goals of the second quarter.

However, the reach on NSW’s O’Shannassy made life difficult for Rodney, which helped NSW find their feet and get within two goals at half time.

NSW’s six changes at the main break paid off as they took the lead early in the second half.

In the final quarter, New South Wales maintained the lead, cementing a four goal win with seconds to go.

NSW coach Pate Cooper was thankful for the win after coming from behind.

“It was a really tough game and I’m really happy with the way the girls just chipped away and fought through.”

“I think we just had a plan to, bit by bit, build and look at the process and not so much worry about the outcome because we thought that would come. I think the ability to use my bench and have fresh legs and variety certainly made a difference.”

With this win under their belt, Cooper is looking forward to finals.

“I’m really excited actually, one more game to go and I’m really looking forward to the semi-finals. I’m so proud of the girls, they’ve done so well so far.”

“It’s still a long way to go, I’m aware but our goal was to get to the semis so I think we’re pretty much on track.”


Victoria defeated South Australia convincingly, however the final score didn’t reflect the contest seen in the first half.

Almost goal for goal throughout the first two quarters, South Australia were able to keep within arm’s reach of Victoria. The chemistry between Victoria’s goalers was instrumental in their win, taking a lead of eight at the final break, then finishing with a 16 goal win.


A tightly contested first quarter saw Northern Territory up 10-7 at the first break against ACT.

NT maintained the defensive pressure in the second quarter to keep the lead while ACT struggled to convert and were forced to lift its defensive intensity.

NT were consistent across the court, taking the win, 31-29.


A close first quarter saw one goal separating Queensland and Tasmania. Queensland surged after the first break, with their defence keeping Tasmania to just one goal in the second quarter. Queensland proved too strong and broke away with a confident lead, ending the game with an 18 goal win.

Round seven



South Australia 30 v Western Australia 29
Victoria 43 v Tasmania 17
New South Wales 35 v ACT 23
Queensland 39 v Northern Territory 19

New South Wales carried great confidence from their victory against Victoria in the previous round to beat the ACT on their home turf.

The rivalry between the two ends of the Hume Highway started off the court. ACT supporters replicated the Canberra Raiders’ “Viking clap”, while NSW supporters attempted to drown it out with their own brand of support.

The first quarter was tight, Lucinda Drinan and Rhiannon Stokes shooting well for NSW to take a narrow lead at quarter time.

Stokes and Drinan continued their accuracy in the second quarter and the NSW midcourt began to force ACT sideways through the centre third, which resulted in intercepts to hard-working Matilda McDonell and Clare Iongi.

NSW stretched their lead to seven by half time, but ACT fought back with a strong third quarter to reduce the deficit to five. Jasmine Fraser and Hayley Mason had some success in shutting off the entries to the NSW circle.

McDonell’s determination shone through with some outstanding intercepts in the final quarter, which she credited to the hands-over pressure from her midcourters.

NSW pushed on to win by 12, NSW Coach Lenore Blades thrilled with her team’s efforts today.

“Our day has been great, beating Victoria this morning and then a win again this afternoon … The girls were quite down when we knew yesterday that we were possibly sitting in fifth, so we needed to just show everyone that we’re a fantastic team. I think they did that with Victoria this morning and then against ACT,” said Blades.

Every ACT player took the court at some point, ACT Coach Kim Symons pleased with their efforts.

“We had patches of brilliance out there – it’s consistency for us and it has been all week. But we were able to put a lot of people out on court today and they stepped up to the mark. It’s good for all 12 to realise they can take the court,” said Symons.


It doesn’t get much closer than a one goal ball game, and that result was a testament to the contest between South Australia and Western Australia.

From the first whistle, it was game on and the two sides went neck-and-neck the whole game.

In a thrilling finish, it was South Australia who took the chocolates, winning 30-29.


Victoria proved too strong for Tasmania, taking a 43-17 victory. The Victorians made amends for their two draws earlier this week as they seek to secure third place going into the semi finals.


A battle of the north saw Queensland and Northern Territory go head to head in their final round game. After a close first half, both teams made changes at the main break, with Queensland’s changes paying dividends as they broke away to a 15 goal lead.

Northern Territory couldn’t get back within reach, going down to the Queenslanders by 20.



New South Wales 25 v ACT 32
Western Australia 39 v Northern Territory 22
Victoria 35 v Queensland 28
South Australia (score) v Tasmania (score

New South Wales had already booked themselves a spot in the semi-finals, so with pride on the line and a packed home crowd, it was ACT more determined to finish the final round with a win.

A tight first quarter saw great chemistry across the NSW attacking line. However, ACT were not letting New South Wales get away with anything too easily. The margin one goal at the first break.

ACT shooter Molly McPhee fired up and helped the home team surge through the second quarter, leading by five at half time.

Realising McPhee’s dominance, NSW brought in O’Shannassy as an attempt to stop the shooter. Although effective in the circle, it was a brilliant team effort from the home side, encouraged by a boisterous crowd, to take their lead out to seven in the final break.

The final quarter secured ACT’s dream ending, with the home side claiming a seven-goal victory.

ACT coach Adele-Marie Bullock was proud of the team’s win.

“It feels great. We’ve been talking about how we’re going to put all four quarters together and tonight we did that, so really pleased with the girls.”

“We were always capable of this and we just really wanted to focus on sticking to the game plan, playing our game our way, and we came out and did that. I think the scoreboard reflects the effort they put in.”

An incredible effort from Molly McPhee who hadn’t seen much court time this week, was pivotal in her team’s win.

“I’m on a high, it’s been a rollercoaster of a week. From limited court time to being on the whole game, it’s such a great feeling.”

The modest shooter credited her teammates.

“I just think everyone clicked at once and once we got that barrier, there was no stopping us. We were just a powerhouse from that point.”


With six wins each under their belt, a tight contest between Victoria and Queensland may have been a sneak peek into the championship game to be held on Monday.

The 1v2 battle showcased the skill and ferocity of both sides, neither wanting to drop their first game of their Nationals’ campaign.

Despite an awesome effort by Queensland to stay in the game, the Vics came out on top, winning 35-28.


Western Australia were able to secure a spot in the semi-finals after defeating Northern Territory by 17. With a strong start, taking the lead 10-4 into the first break, Western Australia lifted their intensity even more to further their lead. An evenly contested last quarter saw the final score 39-22 to WA.


With an early turnover, Tasmania scored first but South Australia responded very quickly with the next few intercepts all finding their way to the post. South Australia dominated the first quarter keeping Tasmania to just 4, SA 15.

Tasmania subbed their wings as SA’s strong play continued all down the court, as they again kept Tasmania scoring just four goals for the quarter to SA’s 13.

Tasmania brought on Dana Lester into GD while SA gave their C Maisie Nan Kivell a rest and subbed GD Sophie Croft. SA’s shooting form continued, although Tasmania was able to slow them down a little through the 3rd quarter.

SA made changes to their shooters as Tasmania made changes across the whole court. Whilst Tasmania did not stop fighting, they were unable to close the gap at all with SA finishing the game 48-19.

Semi finals



New South Wales 38 v Northern Territory 15
ACT 45 v Tasmania 17
South Australia 40 v Western Australia 18
Victoria 29 v Queensland 25

South Australia has progressed through to the 17/U grand final after defeating Western Australia by 22 goals in today’s semi-final.

It was a battle of skill as the teams took to the court, SA getting the edge early, up by six at quarter time.

With both teams making changes at the first break, it wasn’t until the third quarter that SA began to take a charge, leading by 11 at the final break.

With the grand final in their sights, and encouraged by a boisterous crowd, SA extended their lead to 22 giving them confidence leading into tomorrow’s grand final.

South Australian coach Lee-Anne Cummins was excited by the win knowing it could’ve gone either way.

“We played Western Australia only yesterday and it was only a one goal win. It was always going to be tough going into today so to have that win was fantastic.”

A 10 goal lead at the final break wasn’t enough for Cummins who credited her team’s effort until the final siren.

“It wasn’t a massive lead going into the last quarter, it was only 10 goals. To the girl’s credit they ran the game out to blow the game right open.”

A draw with Victoria in round two was the only game South Australia hasn’t won this week but Cummins won’t let that dictate their game plan.

“I think if we do our job well then that will look after itself.”


South Australia will take on Victoria in the 17/U grand final after the Vics defeated Queensland by four.


Despite a 23-goal loss, the score line didn’t reflect the effort of the Northern Territory side who put up a physical battle against New South Wales.

New South Wales convincingly beat NT, 38-15, however their defensive line and ‘long-bomber’ Sophie Gaynor were positives for NT.

NT coach Debra Gray is proud of her team’s improvement against tough competition over the course of the week.

“We’ve made small gains from every game. We’ve seen significant improvement from our defence end as our games have gone on but we still have to work on some timing issues.”

Gray said the results for the week hadn’t dampened the spirits of the NT girls, some of who were experiencing their first Nationals.

“They’re a great group of girls who get on really well. It’s been a long week but they’re a pretty tight knit group.”


ACT came out focused and determined, taking the win over Tasmania, 45-17.

Star performances from Eloise Millington in the centre court and Jordyn Kearney in defence set ACT up a confidence boost going into their 5th-6th playoff game against NSW tomorrow.




ACT 37 v Tasmania 32
South Australia 28 v Northern Territory 18
Victoria 29 v Western Australia 23
Queensland 27 v New South Wales 24


Victoria has defeated Western Australia to book themselves a spot in the grand final, seeing Victoria represented in both age groups.

Having defeated WA by 21 earlier this week, Victoria had a shaky first quarter, however were able to compose themselves to slowly break away from WA.

Victorian coach, Kaylea McQuade admitted the team was surprised by the intensity in the early stages of the game.

“It was intense, which is what you’d expect from a semi-final. We got onto the court and started slow, they weren’t ready for the intensity of it.”

“We made a few changes and the girls adapted really well, and they started to play the netball we know that they can play.”

Victoria will face Queensland in the grand final. Having played them only yesterday, McQuade was confident they know what to do.

“We know their strengths and we know how we can perform against them, so it’s just going to be a case for us of putting effort in that we’ve done this week and putting it into that final game.”

“We had a little bit of a dip a few days ago and it was probably a good opportunity for that to happen where we had time to pull ourselves out of it. We’ve performed really well as a squad, everyone’s gone on and done their job. And the girls are just thriving from the pressure that they’re getting this week.”


A late surge helped South Australia defeat Northern Territory in a come from behind victory.

Trailing to NT for most the game, South Australia came to take the lead halfway through the final quarter, taking a 10-goal win.

South Australian coach, Kirsty Leonard-Down was relieved to get the win.

“It was rather frenetic, it wasn’t our most composed game but I thought especially in that last quarter we brought all the composure back and then really committed to our game to get a good finish.”

The players responded to Leonard-Down’s three quarter time address.

“(I told them) it was now our moment to take the game back and play our own. It was very much caught up in NT’s game – they were hungry and very confident in themselves and were giving themselves a shot at everything, so we needed to make sure that we valued our moments with the ball, executed effectively and make sure we played hard, three second defence and didn’t give up.”

The win was appreciated after an up-and-down week for the SA side.

“We’ve had fantastic starts every single one of our games and only been out of the first quarter twice and that’s only been by one goal in both games.”

“We just haven’t been able to put four quarters together until yesterday and today. Even today, I don’t think we put the four quarters together, we just finished very strongly. When we can put the four quarters together, we’ll be a real force to be reckoned with,” said Leonard-Down.


Queensland and New South Wales were both eager for a spot in the grand final which made for a great game of netball.

From the opening whistle, the Queensland shooters showed it would be a tough combination taking Queensland into the lead at quarter time.

The full court defence and strong attack particularly from Alexis Baker in feeding the circle saw Queensland maintain its lead at half time.

It was a contested third quarter with both teams hungry for the win, but New South Wales maintained the lead.

New South Wales contested every ball but it wasn’t enough against the controlled Queensland game.


With the game resulting in a draw, ACT and Tasmania were forced to battle out their semi-final in extra time.

Tasmania were in control for the first quarter, but ACT took a one goal lead at the main break.

With one point in it, ACT fought back to level the scores with 35 seconds to go. Tasmania didn’t make use of their centre pass as they attempted to rush the ball into their goal ring with the game ending in a draw.

In a thrilling 10 minutes of extra time, ACT managed to take a two-goal lead which they then extended in the final minutes to take the win by five.



NSW 39 v ACT 19
NT 31 v TAS 16
WA 23 v QLD 34
SA 26 v VIC 25

South Australia have scraped in by one goal against Victoria to win back-to-back 17/U national titles at the National Netball Championships.

The pressure of the championship match weighed on both teams, all players starting nervously.

South Australia took first advantage and edged out to a lead in the first quarter that was never overturned, but Victoria charged in the second half.

The game looked like going into overtime, Victoria with a chance to level the scores in the dying stages, but substitute goal keeper Molly Watson grabbed a desperate rebound to hold South Australia’s lead.

South Australia’s defensive pressure in the first half was relentless, Tyler Orr and Chelsea Blackman were huge for the ‘Reds’, restricting Victoria to just eight goals in the first half.

Patient work in attack and shooter-to-shooter passing between Nyah Allen and Helene Altmann ensured safe shots near the post.

Victoria never gave up and increased their defensive effort in the second half, shutting down the speed of South Australia through the midcourt and forcing turnovers.

Olivia Morris entered the game for Victoria at half time and together with Sacha McDonald, held their nerve to score 10 goals in the final quarter to nearly steal the win.

Fatigue and the physicality of the game became a factor and South Australian defender Olivia Watts left the court with an ankle injury. Blackman was incredible in the final minutes, capping off the victory by winning Most Valuable Player in the grand final.

Victorian Coach Jacinta Todd was extremely proud of her team’s fight-back.

“South Australia really hit us early and we were chasing, but we always knew that our girls could come back … In the end, I’m super proud. We just laid it all on the line in the last quarter there and I’m very proud of them regardless of the result,” said Todd.

South Australian captain Tayla Williams was ecstatic with the win.

“It’s incredible, such an amazing feeling. Our (mantra) for the tournament was, ‘when my body gets tired, my mind says this is where winners are made; when my mind gets tired, my heart says this is where champions are made’, and that is exactly what we showed just then on the court,” said Williams.

South Australian coach Lee-Anne Cummins celebrated an emotional win.

“It’s absolutely awesome, for some of these girls, they’ve have gone through two years undefeated at national championships … I’m really happy for them because they deserve it, they work really hard and it’s just reward for them.”


Queensland have claimed the 17/U bronze medal, defeating Western Australia 34-23.

Queensland established control from early in the game, taking a six-goal lead at quarter time. A slight comeback from WA put the pressure on, however the Queensland side were able to pull away and take the game by 11.

Queensland coach, Simone Nalatu was happy with the bronze medal win.

“It’s absolutely fantastic. I’m so proud of the girls to back up today after such a tough game last night, but very happy with the result.”

Nalatu deemed the week successful for the Queenslanders.

“They’ve definitely improved as the week’s progressed and I think that was evident in last night’s semi-final.”

“I’m really happy and proud that they were able to get the win today and finished off with that bronze medal.”


NSW has defeated the ACT 39-19 to finish their U17 National Netball Championship campaign in fifth place.

A dominant second half where NSW scored 25 goals to nine saw them overcome an ACT side that tried hard throughout the four quarters.

The opening term was a tight affair as both sides went goal for goal but it was the ACT that got their noses in front to lead 7-6 at the end of the first term.

The second quarter was similar to the first with both sides fighting hard for every possession.

With scores level at 8-all with five minutes to go until halftime, NSW finished the quarter stronger to head into halftime holding a 14-10 advantage.

NSW stepped up their intensity in the third term and as a result they outscored the ACT 11 goals to five to lead 25-15 heading into the final quarter.

The ACT continued to try hard in the final term but NSW held their composure to finish stronger and finish their U17 national campaign on a winning note.

NSW goal shooter and captain Lucinda Drinan landed 16 goals from 23 attempts, while goal attack Rhiannon Stokes was also impressive scoring 14 goals from 17 attempts.

ACT goal shooters Amber Brophy (12/18) and Layla Bahgat (5/6) worked hard for their goals against a strong NSW defence.


Having not recorded a win this week, Northern Territory came into their final game of the tournament determined to take down Tasmania.

The two teams met in round four where the Tasmanians took an eight-goal win.

From the first whistle, it was all NT.

By half time, Northern Territory took a seven-goal lead; a slight injury to star shooter Sophie Gaynor who returned to the court moments later, not interrupting their flow as they kept the Tassies to one goal in the second quarter.

Six changes to the Tasmanian side after the main break didn’t help their cause, as Northern Territory extended their lead to eight.

An explosive final quarter from Northern Territory saw them surge home to finish off their week with a win under their belt.



ACT 39 v SA 37
TAS 39 v NT 30
WA 21 v NSW 16
VIC 25 v QLD 17

Victoria’s strong first half secured an eight-goal victory against Queensland in the 19/U grand final match of the Australian National Championships.

Queensland took an early three-goal lead, but Victoria shifted the momentum and finished the first quarter stronger.

Victoria’s attack was clinical in the first half, Queensland unable to disrupt the Victorian connections.

The reach and footwork of Victorians Matilda Garrett and grand final MVP Brooke Allen kept livewire Tippah Dwan quiet. Accurate goal conversion from Tahnysha Salanoa and Rahni Samason made it hard for Queensland to win the ball back.

The Victorians executed different defence styles seamlessly throughout the game, forcing Queensland wide and into poor ball placement at times to lead by eight at half time.

Queensland captain Tara Hinchcliffe led by example, keeping her team in the game with intercepts on the last line of defence. Hinchcliffe played a mighty second half, finishing the week as the tournament 19/U MVP.

Victoria was held goalless for six minutes during the third quarter, but Queensland was unable to hurt them on the scoreboard, despite winning a low-scoring quarter.

Queensland coach Megan Lynch made more changes for the last quarter, shifting her defensive unit across. Maddison Hinchcliffe moved into centre and Shanae Grant provided fresh legs at the back.

Again, Queensland won the last quarter, but outstanding defence from the Victorians saw them finish with an eight-goal win to clinch the national title. Victorian captain Garrett was instrumental in the win and celebrated hard with her team.

“It’s phenomenal, we’ve just had such a good preseason and it’s just so good to actually put it out there and win it. Everyone’s got tired bodies but we just kept pushing, it was awesome,” said Garrett.

Queensland coach Megan Lynch praised her team’s efforts under limited preparation (due to ANL duties).

“I am so proud of these girls considering that only six of them were able to train together … I think we let Victoria out-muscle us off the ball, which proved costly. We didn’t react quick enough, but credit to them, we kept fighting,” said Lynch.

Victorian coach Kaylea McQuade paid tribute to her team and support staff. The Englishwoman now adds an Australian national title to her list of coaching accomplishments from across the globe.

“I think we won it in that second quarter, we made that big lead, which meant they’d done the hard work early. Whilst it got scrappy in that last quarter, they were tired because they’d worked hard. This is my first time at this gig … you wear your heart on your sleeve and I’m just so proud of them, I’m absolutely thrilled,” said McQuade.


Western Australia has defeated NSW 21-16 to claim the bronze medal at the U/19 National Championships.

In a game largely dominated by both sides defences it was Western Australia who prevailed in the end to record a hard fought victory.

The opening quarter was a low scoring affair as both sides were guilty of costly turnovers and handling mistakes.

Western Australia managed to get their noses in front and led 5-3 at the end of the first term.

NSW came out strongly in the second quarter lifting their defensive intensity and drive through the midcourt.

They hit the lead 10-8 but three late goals to Western Australia saw them maintain a slender one-goal (11-10) lead at halftime.

Western Australia showed better control in the third term and as a result led 16-13 heading into the final quarter.

The final term saw both sides go goal for goal but as hard as NSW tried they couldn’t bridge the margin and Western Australia came away five goal victors.


The ACT has defeated South Australia 39-37 in extra time to finish fifth at the 19/U National Championships.

The match had everything as both sides left it all on court in one of the games of the tournament.

The opening quarter saw both sides come out with plenty of intensity as they battled for every possession.

Scores were level halfway through the term but it was South Australia who headed into the quarter time break leading 10-7.

The second quarter was an even affair with South Australia maintaining their three-goal advantage.

However, late goals to ACT goal shooter Nalani Makunde reduced South Australia’s lead to just one goal at halftime (16-15).

Makunde scored the opening two goals of the third term to give her side the lead and when team mate Jacoba Clough goaled the ACT was out to a two-goal lead early in the third term.

They stretched their advantage to six goals before South Australia managed to stem the tide of goals.

South Australia finished the quarter strongly but it was the ACT that headed into the final term holding 25-21 lead.

The final quarter was a thriller as South Australia chipped away at the ACT’s lead to draw level with 20 seconds left on the clock.

South Australia had a last second attempt at goal to win the match but it hit the hoop of the goal and dropped away and the game headed into extra time.

The first half of extra time saw the ACT lead 36-32 as both sets of supporters roared their sides on.

South Australia threw everything at the ACT in the second half of extra time and once again levelled the scores at 37-all.

But it was the home side that held their nerve to come away with a two-goal victory in front of a crowd that had the SolarHub ACT Netball Centre rocking.


Tasmania have taken out their first win in their National Netball Championships campaign, defeating Northern Territory by 19 goals.

It was a case of the unknown, as their round four clash resulted in a draw.

Tasmanian coach, Andrew Jackson was relieved to finally get a win.

“It was good to finish off with a win. I think it finally showed what they can do. We’ve had three draws up until today, and played well against Victoria and NSW, it was probably only South Australia that blew out.

“They’ve shown what they can all along so finally it’s good to see them put it all on the court and have a really good win by a good margin. “

Jackson explained it wasn’t the most ideal preparation leading into the Nationals.

“(Preparation) was a little be broken. We had two of our players playing in the ANL so we basically didn’t have them all the way through. Then a couple of injuries that again, were being managed, so we really only had about eight people training at any time. It wasn’t until the last week that we had the full squad.”

It wasn’t the week they were hoping for, but Jackson was happy with their progression.

“On the court, it’s been up and down and that’s why we had the three draws. I think probably today they showed they gelled and put it all together at the right time.”