Netball Australia today announced the appointment of Marne Fechner as Chief Executive Officer.
Fechner is one of the nation’s leading sports administrators with broad experience within the netball sector and unparalleled strategic, analytical and operational expertise.
Netball Australia’s Board of Directors Chair, Paolina Hunt, said the board was unanimous in the appointment and believes that Fechner will develop and enhance the future of netball in this country.
“Marne is an incredible leader and with almost 20 years of experience she was the standout for the role of Chief Executive Officer,” said Hunt.
“Marne brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the position, along with a passion to grow the game. She has demonstrated her ability to drive strong commercial outcomes and is well respected across corporate Australia, government and within netball, making her the perfect person to lead the development and growth of not only Suncorp Super Netball but the sport.
“The entire Board of Directors congratulates Marne and we look forward to working with her as we aim to expand the success of netball as Australia’s number one female participation sport.”
Fechner said that she felt incredibly privileged to be awarded this esteemed role and that she is excited about the opportunities the role presents.
“With the inaugural season of Suncorp Super Netball in play and the 2018 Commonwealth Games less than 12 months away, there are more exciting times are ahead for netball,” said Fechner.
“My aim is to build on the success of my predecessors and to ensure that we are a governing body that supports the growth of netball’s’ key strategic objectives at both State and National levels.
“This is an important role and I do not take my responsibility lightly. Netball has the power to bring people together and the sport is an intrinsic part of communities around the country.”
- Masters of Business – Marketing from RMIT University, Melbourne: 2000 – 2003
- Marne has had a career in netball spanning nearly 20 years including the following roles:
- Marketing Manager, Netball Victoria: October 1997 – April 2002
- Acting Chief Executive, Netball Victoria: July 2007 – November 2007
- Head of Commercial, Netball Australia: December 2007 – January 2013
- Chief Executive, Netball World Cup Sydney 2015: February 2013 – October 2015
- Deputy Chief Executive, Netball Australia: October 2015 – December 2016
- Acting Chief Executive, Netball Australia: December 2016 – Current
Awards and Professional Roles:
- CEO Magazine – Sport Executive of the year (2016)
- Member of the International Netball Federation (INF) Commercial Workgroup (2011 – 2015)
- Independent Board Member, Australian Sporting Goods Association, ASGA (2010 –2014)