Development has begun on the newest edition to Darwin’s landscape – a new state of the art, netball stadium – which is due to be completed at the end of this year.
The occasion was marked by a ‘turning the sod’ event, with the Federal Member, Nigel Scullion and local Ministers Lauren Moss and Kate Worden with representatives from Netball Northern Territory.
With an estimated cost of $18million ($8m Federal funding and $10m from the Northern Territory Government), the new facility will be proposed as a host venue for future major events including Suncorp Super Netball matches, Deakin University Australian Netball League matches, National Netball Championships and Samsung Diamonds international tests.
The new facility will feature:
– Four indoor courts, including one show court with 2,000 seats with an additional 500 temporary seating for major events
– Eight changerooms and one umpire changeroom
– Upstairs function room with glass frontage to the show court
– New underground carpark with 150 spaces, in addition to the already existing 120 outdoor spaces
– Prehab/rehab rooms
– Occasional care room (creche)
– First Aid room