ANL teams continue to split in round two

Game one: Fury 64 v Storm 21           Game two: Fury 54 v Storm 37

Game one: Waratahs 52 v Force 46          Game two: Waratahs 47 v Force 62

Game one: GIANTS 48 v Sting 50         Game two: GIANTS 56 v Sting 49

Game one: Fusion 46 v Magpies 26          Game two: Fusion 46 v Magpies 47


It was another split round in the ANL with all teams notching up wins, with the exception of Territory Storm who are yet to get a win on the board.

It was all happening in NSW with both Canberra GIANTS and Netball NSW Waratahs hosting Western Sting and Southern Force at the Genea Netball Centre on Saturday and Sunday.

After a solid start by the Canberra GIANTS, it was the third quarter which saw them lose momentum, allowing Western Sting to come away with the win 50-48.

GIANTS coach, Maria Lynch credited the work of Sting’s Sophie Garbon.

“Sophie is such a fantastic target for them, she scored a bucket load of goals. Trying to shut her down was a big job for us.”

Taking that on board, the GIANTS went into game two with a fighting spirt.

Western Sting had a solid first half, up by 12 at quarter time then holding the lead to 10 at the half time break.

The GIANTS came out hard in the second half to ultimately take the win 56-49.

Lynch commended her girls on a hard-fought battle.

“That was a cracker of a game… We were hungry for it and went after every loose ball and made every attempt at goal count for us… It was a pretty big fight back, great character from the girls.”

Netball was all the buzz at the Genea Netball Centre with Netball NSW Waratahs v Southern Force taking to the court after the Canberra GIANTS v Western Sting games.

In what was described as a ‘stunning performance’, the Waratahs outplayed the Force on Saturday night, taking the win 52-46.

Game two on Sunday saw the Force even things up, claiming a 62-47 victory having led at each of the major breaks.

Up the coast, Queensland Fusion, who were coming off a successful round one having defeated Territory Storm in both matches, played host to the Tasmanian Magpies. Fusion claimed victory 46-26 to which coach, Tracey Jeanes-Fraser praised the work of her girls who were up against a tough competition.

“It was a great game in the sense that we built throughout the game. It was a very tightly contested match throughout each quarter. I don’t think the scoreline reflected the toughness of the game.”

Game two on Sunday saw Tasmania strengthened with the inclusion of Magpies Netball athletes including Shae Browne. The home team went down to the Magpies 46-47.

“It was a different type of game, it was a very physical game,” Tracey said of the match.

“Credit to the girls, they fought really hard right through to the last 30 secs of the game. The unit work is working really well. I asked them to play with a lot of heart and for a young group of girls, they didn’t fold under the pressure, they just kept working with it, it was terrific.”

In the red centre of Australia, Territory Storm were on the hunt for their first win of the ANL season, hosting Victorian Fury at the Pat Gallagher Centre in Alice Springs.

With the Fury coming out hot in game one, they increased on their half time lead of 16 goals to defeat the home side 64-21.

Game two saw a rejuvenated Territory Storm side, who were able to reduce the margin of game one, with Fury securing their third win for the season, defeating the Storm 54-37.