COX WITHDRAWS FROM INTERNATIONAL SERIES

Australian shooter Catherine Cox has withdrawn from Australian Diamonds selection camp ahead of the 2013 international series against the New Zealand Silver Ferns and Malawi Queens citing fatigue. 

cathcox

The 108-Test veteran made the decision on Thursday evening to opt out of camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.

“I need some extra time to recharge so I made the difficult decision to withdraw from selection camp to ensure that I’m at my best for next year’s Commonwealth Games and 2015 World Netball Championships,” Cox said.

Cox, who became just the fourth player in Australian netball history to record 100 Test appearances last year, has not missed an international series since the two-Tests against the Silver Ferns leading up to the Commonwealth Games in 2010 – missing just five of the last 36 Tests.

“It’s disappointing that we won’t have Catherine (Cox) available for Australian Diamonds selection this year but the health and well being of our athletes remains the upmost importance to us,” Diamonds coach Lisa Alexander said.

“Our ultimate aim is to regain the gold and retain the title at the 2014 Commonwealth Games and 2015 World Netball Championships, respectively, so we need our athletes to be fresh, fit and healthy for the tournament.”

The Australian Diamonds team for the 2013 international Tests will be announced at the conclusion of selection camp on Saturday afternoon.